Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bless this Mess!

Have you ever just made a mess out of something? I sure have, more than a few times! Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes (maybe most times) it's my own stubborn, sinful fault. A while back, I stepped on and crushed one of my son's LEGO creations. It was something he had made all on his own, not from one of those prepackaged kits. I knew how much thought and planning had gone into it and I felt terrible. I was apologizing over and over as I picked up each piece, trying so hard to fit it here or there and recreate what I had destroyed. In the middle of this, he simply took the pieces from my hand and said ever so sweetly, "It's okay, Mama. I'll fix it. It was my creation so I'm the only one who knows how it is supposed to go." He was right. I could work all day but without instructions or guidance, it would never be what its original creator intended. How true is this of our relationship with our creator?  What do we do when something in our life gets "crushed" either by our own actions, or the actions of someone else?  Do we turn to our instruction book, God's Holy Word, left to guide us each step of the way?  Do we hit our knees in prayer...OR do we try and fix it ourselves?  Wonder why we think we can?  We have these broken piles all around us, and we sit, stifled almost among them, overwhelmed at what piece goes where or how to even get started.  Maybe it's our finances in a mess, or our marriage, or a friendship. Maybe it's our relationship with the Lord, neglected and broken. We try picking up the pieces and start rebuilding, only to make a bigger mess. Or sometimes we actually end up making something pretty cool looking, only to find it crumbling again under any pressure. We can also be found using those pieces to build a wall around ourselves, shutting the rest of the world out, closing ourselves off from any more hurt...or help.  Oh how I've been there!  The good news is that we don't have to do it ourselves! Our Creator, our Saviour, our Lord, is willing to take all of those pieces from us, and ever so sweetly say, "Give those to me child, I've got this. I thought you up and made you wonderful, so I know how you "go." I'll fix this for you, if you'll only let me."  Don't try and do it alone anymore.  Give it to God.  He wants your mess, and He can make something BEAUTIFUL out of it!

Thank you Lord, for a message through my child and his toys.  Thank you Lord, that you are willing to forgive, and forget, and still be there to help me put my messes back together...as only you can...time after time, after time. Amen and amen!

Psalm 121:2  My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I am a fixer, I needed this reminder. Thank u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I am a fixer, I needed this reminder. Thank u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I am a fixer, I needed this reminder. Thank u

    ReplyDelete