Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A divine appointment!

A little over a year ago I had the privilege of meeting a very special lady named Ms. Jettie.  A lady who's personality can light up a room.  A lady I had heard a lot about from my best friend, Pam. It was shortly before this meeting that I had become friends with Pam. We had an instant connection, and a friendship that could of only been formed by God. It is a "soul sister" type of bond, and something that can best be described as a blessing. This friendship grew as we walked at the park near my house. We would share life stories as we walked countless miles around the track getting to know each other. (Wow, this is making me ready for Springtime and walks at the park!!) One of the many things that always stuck out to me in our chatting was Pam's love for her family. Family is very important to me also, so that was an instant bond that we shared.  Several of the stories she would tell involved her mother, and the many adventures they would go on as she was growing up. The bond that they share is one that is very familiar to me because I share a similar one with my mother. As the conversations went on, my desire to meet Pam's mother began to grow. On the way back from town one day we decided to stop by and see Ms. Jettie. As we walked into her room I was immediately moved by what a special connection my sweet friend and her mother share. Ms. Jettie's face lit up as soon as she saw Pam enter the room. I watched the way Pam would lean in close to talk to her mother. As she did she would rub her arm and give her a big sweet smile! I could see how much they love each other, and it made me love my friend even more! It was at that moment that I noticed something that God would use to teach me a great lesson. A lesson I will try to share with you today, and a lesson God still reminds me of quite often. 
I guess you could say God had a divine appointment for me that day!! Sitting next to Ms. Jettie in her wheelchair was a worn out hymnal. I asked Pam about it, and she told me that her mother kept it with her all the time. This hymnal is something that brings her great joy!! I learned that this preachers wife loves to sing, and she began to sing to me a song I had never heard before..."How beautiful Heaven Must Be" is the song she sang with a sparkle in her eye and a sweet smile on her face. I was moved to tears by the words of that song, but mostly by the woman singing it. It was like she was shining God's light, the same light the song mentions. The words to the song rang true to me that day, "In heaven no drooping nor pining, no wishing for elsewhere to be; God's light is forever there shining, How beautiful heaven must be." I could picture heaven as she sang, and it made me long for it! It was one of those moments that will forever be a sweet memory for me and my friend! When the song was finished Pam showed me that the hymnal had been donated by two members from First Baptist Church Alabaster. Small world because this is the church my husband and several of my friends grew up in. The couple who donated the hymnal are very close to our family still to this day. I spent the rest of that day thinking about that hymnal, and crying every time I pictured her singing me that song. I was amazed by how much joy that hymnal brings to Ms. Jettie. How it has become one of her most treasured possessions. How this gift helps her to worship her Heavenly Father she loves. Also, how Ms. Jettie uses this hymnal to touch the lives of those around her. I am sure when the couple donated this hymnal they had no idea what an impact it would have on her day to day life, and how God would use it to impact others, to impact me!
 I learned that day the power of a simple gift. No matter what we have to give, big or small, God can use it. He's just waiting on us to be willing to give it. You see, so many days I get stuck on the fact that God can't use me for one reason or another.  That I've got to change some things, fix some things, or be willing to let go of some things before God can use the  gifts I have. That my gift might not be accepted, or good enough. Nothing is farther from the truth!!  God is just asking for a willing heart and mind.  2Corinthians 8:12 says, "For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have." God has already equipped us with the gifts, talents, and other things we need to fulfill the purpose He has for us. God wants to use you and I to touch someones life for eternity, or to simply bring a little light into a dark day. To stop focusing on what we don't have. I  also believe Ms. Jettie understands the power of a simple gift. That sweet song she sang for me was all she had to give me that day. It was a gift that God used to touch my heart, make me long for heaven, and teach me how to better serve Him. She taught me to give what I have, no matter how small I think it might be. To use what God has given me to touch the lives of people that are standing in front of me. It was a life changing gift, and one I will be forever be grateful for. Just like I'm sure Ms. Jettie is forever grateful for her simple gift, the hymnal. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment